It’s Great to Be Eight!
My precious Daffodil is Eight years old! It’s so hard to believe it has been eight
years since our little blueberry came shooting into our lives. She is honestly the most amazing, determined,
intelligent, insightful and wonderful girl.
I wish you all could know her personally. What a joy to be her mother. One of Daphne’s most notable strengths is her
strong will, her ability to lead. She is
a natural leader and we see that every day.
Being a big sister comes naturally, especially the bossy parts. But what has thrilled me beyond understanding
is how this past year has brought such growth in her as a big sister. She has learned not just to direct Victoria,
but to teach her. Not just to command
her, but to persuade her. She has
learned to not just play, but to nurture, and perhaps thesweetest sigh tof all
has been to see Daphne find joy in Tori’s accomplishments, to encourage and
praise her sister and find genuine happiness in her successes. What a sister you are, my sweet Daphne! We
are so very, very happy you are part of our family.

We have begun a system of allowing our children to have a
“Friend Party” every other year. Many
reasons for this decision: Firstly,
friend parties are expensive. Secondly,
My kids have too much stuff. I realize
that I could have a party and ask people to not bring gifts, but I feel like
that would be even less fair and difficult to explain to my children. Thirdly, I feel that we do a pretty great job
of making our kids birthdays really special, and it just isn’t necessary. At first this seemed like a great idea, and
in most ways it still is. It should have
occurred to me, however, that they are
all three having their Friend Party on the same year. Which mostly just makes every other year
really expensive. And yes, I realize
that I am breaking the unspoken rule of mentioning the cost of your child’s
birthday party. I do realize that there
is some surreal blog world where we are supposed to throw perfectly themed
parties with perfect cake and clothes and perfectly behaved children and never
mention the hundreds of dollars it costs.
I suppose on some level, we think, “Well, it’s her birthday, she
shouldn’t worry about the cost.” But, as
many of you know, Matt and I are cheapskates.
We try to be the nicest and most generous cheapskates possible, but we
are not big on unnecessary expense. And
birthday parties are full of a lot of that.
But, can I make my child feel special on his/her birthday without
inviting sixteen 7 year olds over and have matching napkins and matching
toenails and matching cake and matching forks?
Yes, yes I can. And we feel that
by allowing our children to understand that you can celebrate your birthday
without splurging, maybe we are teaching them a valuable lesson. Maybe we are teaching them that they are only
important every other year, who knows? We’ll
see how long this system lasts!
So… wow, that was a really long segway into this
discussion. All that said, Daphne chose
to have a special outing instead of a friend party. We let her choose one friend to invite, and
we all went to Cherry Hill for the day!
It was So. Much. Fun. This coming
from a woman who hates water parks and
frankly is terrified to put my head under the water. Our children could not stop smiling. Tori kept running around saying, “This is the
best. Day. Ever!” Daphne and her BFF Allison
could not stop giggling and laughing.
They were having so much fun.
But of course, this outing took place during the two days that I had a new phone that I hated, and when we exchanged it for another one I forgot that all my pictures from Cherry Hill were on the stupid phone.
But- We did celebrate Daphne's Birthday with Matt's family AND my family! (Stay tuned for the pics with my family on my Texas post). Here are a few pictures of her family birthday celebration:
We love you, Daphne Faith! We are so grateful for your vibrant spirit, your clever mind and your giving heart! Happy Birthday!






No comments:
Post a Comment