At that time, I wasn't allowed to post pictures of our girls online. I have considered sharing pictures of that day with you... pictures to document the transformation I have been honored to watch over the past two years, but I never felt quite right about it. The week the girls came to us was one of the most traumatic weeks of their little lives. I think back to the most difficult days of my life and wonder if I would want pictures of that day posted on the internet by someone else... I don't know.
I will share just one. One picture from those first few days that still warms my heart when I see it. When the girls were removed, Lanaye (Luna) was desperately ill. She was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and April (Sunshine) was taken to The Christmas Box House. So, just after having been forcibly removed from the only people they knew, our girls were separated from one another. I stayed with Lanaye in the hospital for two days before April was well enough for us to come and get her. Lanaye was angry and frightened and so very sick. She had not smiled one single time in those first 55 hours. She refused to eat or drink... and we were worried that she didn't have the will to fight her illness. I brought April to the hospital to see her and her face LIT UP! She smiled and bounced on Matt's lap and reached for her big sister. Here they are just a few moments later:
Y'all. I cannot look at that picture without my heart bursting wide open. These two sisters have such a special, incredible bond. I thought back to our desire to adopt "one" child.... How grateful I am that God changed our hearts!
While I don't want to exploit those first traumatic days and hours in any way, I will share some pictures of their first month here. Smiling, happy girls- adjusting to life in a home, with their own beds; safe and warm and loved.
I see the entire world differently now... these precious girls and their baby sister changed. us.
We most certainly are NOT a finished work. This is not a "happily ever after" story, free from pain or heartache. There will be years of work and effort and tears ahead. But we have seen mighty miracles and we know that He who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it.
" And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save. " II Nephi 31:19
This picture makes me grin from ear to ear!











No comments:
Post a Comment