Monday, August 31, 2009

Eleventh Weekend- Luxembourg City

After we saw General Patton's grave in Luxembourg, we thought we would head into dowtown Luxembourg city. I have to be honest. I knew nothing about Luxembourg before we visited. I thought it was pretty fascinating. Once again, I was taken aback at how very ancient this city is. How cute are my boys? Who needs the scenery? I just love their smiles!


The most unique aspect of Luxembourg is the dramatic valley that runs through the centre of it, and the Pont Adolphe is one of three main bridges that connect one side of the city to the other. It was built between 1900 and 1903 and was the largest stone arch in the world.


There were memorials all over Luxembourg- I wish we knew more about the city so that I could tell you what they were all for....









We stopped in the middle of all our sight-seeing and had some dinner. The dinner part was unremarkable, but we stopped at a French Pastry Shop and had some delectable tarts! Super delicious! The Golden Lady Monument (Gelle Fra) was erected in 1923 to commemorate the Luxembourger victims of the First World War. In 1940 the monument was demolished by the Nazis, but later in 1984 it was reconstructed in its original apperance.



This is the plaque in front of the monument:

We also stopped at the Notre Dame. Wait a minute, we already saw that in Paris, right? Well, Luxembourg has it's own Notre Dame Cathedral, which was built in the 17th century.
This video isn't particularly exciting or cute, but you do get to see the interior of the cathedral and some footage of my children being the quietest I have ever seen them!! There was a sign when we walked in that asked for Silence as they conducted services. So we told our kids and they were actually very quiet. I was quite impressed with them. They looked around and asked questions... not too shabby for our rowdy bunch.








View from the Pont Adolphe

One of the coolest sights in Luxembourg is The Bock Casemates. They are part of Luxembourg City's Old Fortifications and are underground defense galleries dating from the 17th century. During WWII, Luxembourg residents lived in these underground tunnels. We found this little tid-bit of info particularly fascinating! We weren't able to check out the Casemates first-hand. It would have been quite a feat with a stroller. We did see them from a distance, however.

We also just headed out exploring what kinds of ancient buildings and fortresses we could find- like this monster fortress, constructed in 1050...

We had a blast in Luxembourg- it was fun not feeling pressured by the opening hours of tourist sites and just being able to take our time. We had lots of fun just being together and exploring the city. After lots of hunting through the city and trying to decipher the cryptic directions given by the GPS, we decided to call it a night. We headed back to our hotel in Luxembourg and settled in for the night!

No comments: