
And I mentioned that Daphne and I picked up some lovely jewelry made of genuine Venetian Glass while we were in Venice. Here we are modeling our finds!The children have been absolutely thrilled about all of their "treasures". And as I watch them enjoying those fun souveneirs, I can't help but think that they are some of my true treasures.
"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matthew 6:21
I usually read this scripture and think of how my treasure should be in the Lord- and that my heart should belong to Him. Although, I also know that the family is ordained of God- and that my calling as their mother is the most important work I will do in my life.
I usually read this scripture and think of how my treasure should be in the Lord- and that my heart should belong to Him. Although, I also know that the family is ordained of God- and that my calling as their mother is the most important work I will do in my life.
I won't lie to you. It hasn't always been pretty here in Europe. There have been temper tantrums galore and Mommy-breakdowns to match. I have lost my temper more than I would like. Having three children with three very different sets of needs has been challenging in this tiny hotel room and traveling in the car for hours every weekend.
But, one of my personal goals for this summer was to make this a memorable experience for them, for our children. I didn't want to just cart them all over Europe and force them into sight-seeing tours that would bore them to tears. I so very much wanted them to enjoy this experience, to learn something from it, to remember it!
So, I strived to be flexible. Sure, I would have liked to see the Louvre inside. But a four hour museum trip wasn't in their best interest. Yeah- I would have loved a romantic Gondola ride in Venice with my husband, but I'm pretty sure Tori would have fallen over-board in the course of a temper-tantrum! Yes, I would like to squeeze in one more tourist attraction this weekend, but the kids are done, and so are we.
I guess what I am saying is: Seeing Europe as a family has been different than what the guidebooks recommend. But I wouldn't trade this experience for a romantic summer without them for one minute! I am so grateful to have been able to see the world, but more grateful to have seen my children see the world! The memories we have made as a family will be with me forever. I just hope they will retain a few of them.
And I think that that will be the greatest treasure I bring home from Europe.
So here are some fun pics of them just being kids:
Finding a bird's nest:






1 comment:
Oh I loved this post and your blog. (sorry I'm bad at leaving comments) You are such an amazing mom! What a fantastic experience you gave your children. I'm sure you accomplished your goal and they will remember it forever. Good luck adjusting back to the real world, I am going to miss working with you...you are such an awesome teacher too! I'll explain Oklahoma in an e-mail later.
Love ya!
Post a Comment