Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy Birthday, America!

We had a fantastic 4th of July celebration!! We were so blessed to have a much better and calm experience this year, and we were grateful. Early that morning, I took the kids with me to scout out a spot to camp our chairs in order to save a spot to watch the parade. Now, Matt and I were not sure about this decision. We (And by we I mean my Morally Sensible husband) felt like maybe it wasn't fair to leave chairs to save our spot when we weren't there. But, after arriving there 2 1/2 hours early and spending 45 minutes looking for a spot... I don't feel so bad anymore.

Last year, our search for a piece of curb was loud and hot and stressful resulting in sad situations you can read about here. So, I offered myself up as the designated seat saver to protect my husband.

Apparently, if you want a seat, you get there early. I ran into a friend of mine while setting up our chairs and she said she had driven by two days ago and had seen chairs sitting out. Wow. Well, is that the way you want to play it, Layton City? Game On. No longer will we stumble into your crowds without a plan. Prepare yourselves for the Hunters.


It really ended up great after all that. We arrived about 20 minutes before the parade started, walked right up to our seats and plopped down. No elbows thrown, no lugging chairs throughout the crowd, no fistfights, I know you're all very proud of me. The kids were in a great mood- Daphne was playing with Tori and helping to take care of her- it was so sweet! Anyway, here we are waiting for the festivities to begin- it's a little sunny, can you tell?:

Daphne wanted something "really American" in her hair, so here you go! I have no idea if it's American, but it's pretty cute!





Previously that morning, when we were on our way to save our spots, Isaac and Daphne were happily chatting about all the fun festivities to come, and Tori looked out the window to see all the American flags lining the streets. Then she abruptly said, "Mom! Is is somebody's birsday?"



"Yes! It's America's Birthday!" I replied.


"Ohhhhh!" Tori said excitedly.


After a few quiet moments, she said, "What color is Amewica's hair?"



We tried to explain that America is a place, a country, where we live. We spent a long time trying to tell her, and then she asked if we could buy a Birthday hat for America. Maybe it will make sense next year?

After the parade, we gathered up all our goodies and headed to Matt's sister, Raegan's house. We spent the whole afternoon/evening there and we had such a blast!



Daphne, Tori, and a neighbor named Phoenix took little Penny for a walk to figure out what those fireworks were all about!



Penny and I had a fun, fun day!! She let me hold her lots and lots, which was so sweet!


She even let Tori get in on the love:


Everybody loves sparkles!

Zach, Luke, Abby and Lydia:


While the boys (Matt, David and Austin- even Jude helped a little)
were inside constructing, embellishing, and maximizing all of our fireworks, we went outside to watch the neighbors' fireworks:



See how mischevious they look?




Baby Savannah, who will be one this month!


Our little ham! Tori loves, Loves, LOVES to make people laugh. She also gets frightened very easily. Now this next scenario would frighten most three year olds, but her reaction was the best. ever.



The night before, our neighbors started lighting fireworks just after we put our kids in bed. It was very, very loud. I realized that they probably would have trouble getting to sleep but I did not expect Tori to walk down the stiars, tears streaming down her cheeks, hands shaking, and say,


" There's a monstah knockin' on my window wis a Hammoh!"


Poor baby! We took her outside and let her watch a few rounds so that she knew she was safe. I love that girl!

After lots and lots of waiting, the boys were finally ready to present to us their amazing fireworks show! When I asked them to stand behind all their creations and smile, this is what I got:


Ummmm, thanks.



Matt's parents dropped by with doughnuts from Krispy Kreme and stayed for the fun:







I hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day filled with family, fun and friends as well. I was so thankful to hear my daughter pray and thank God for the freedoms we have in our country (with no prompting or reminding!). I know they are just beginning to understand how very blessed we are... I am also slowly gaining more and more gratitude for the incredible sacrifice so many brave men and women have paid to found and protect this great Nation. We pray that our country will remain free, that our leaders will be lessed with wisdom from God and that good men will take action and rise up to bring freedom to the oppressed.

No comments: