Saturday, August 18, 2012

Acapulco Baby! Part 3

So... all over the Resort, they would advertise special activities, like Ladies Night and Dancing Night.  So... Matt and I thought we would drop in at Karaoke night.  Turns out, all they really wanted was to lure people in to drink, but we stayed anyway!  Unfortunately, 90% of the music they had was Spanish.  Not like Enrique Iglesias Spanish, but like mariachi Band Spanish.  Thus, our options were pretty limited.  Therefore, we decided to Karaoke ICE ICE BABY.  Yes, we did. Traditionally, I'm a better singer than I am a rapper, but we thought we'd expand outside our comfort zones.  It was awesome.  Everyone else was drunk, but I swear we had the most fun of all the people there.  I don't know, there was one guy who took his Mariachi music very seriously.  He really liked to hear himself sing.  He might have had more fun than us, but it was definitely a close contest.  It was crazy dark, but here's a picture Matt took of me singing.
Since we were up late acting crazy, we decided to make the next day super lazy and hang out on the beach. (not that we had been particularly productive anyway. I mean,we were taking a once daily trip around the 1/2 mile lazy river.  And that lazy river will wear a girl out, I tell you! ) 
Matt was feeling a bit more productive than I, however.  He decided to try his hand at Boogie Boarding- and he was quite good!  
I, on the other hand, laid on the beach and watched him and read my novel.  It was heavenly!
 And Matt just kept running in and out with his Boogie Board.  It was like my own personal episode of Bay Watch!
Panoramic of our view that day:
Now, in all seriousness, you would think that laying on the beach and reading a novel without my kids interrupting every 2 minutes would be utter perfection.  But... the stinkin' salespeople would interrupt me about every 4 minutes.  It got really old.  I hate to sound like I'm complaining, because we were having a wonderful time.
 But as soon as Matt got tired, we moved back up to the resort to relax with a slightly different view:
So Matt and I lounged together.  I read and he rested.  Ahhhh....
This was the first time we have ever had so much uninterrupted conversation time in all our married lives.  Or at least since we had children.  So, before we left, I printed off a few lists of questions and conversation starters like the ones you can find here.  Whenever we went to dinner or had some time to just talk, I would pull out and we would ask each other questions.  To be truthful, it was a little corny at first.  Matt said that he thought the idea was lame at first.  But after a while, even he loved it!  We were laughing so hard.  We were often re-telling stories we had told one another before, but we had forgotten some or all of the details.  It was like getting to know each other all over again and I highly recommend it for a vacation together or even just a date night! We definitely learned things we didn't know before and remembered things we had forgotten about one another.  And we laughed- a lot. 
 We did some swimming in the pool, which overlooks the ocean.  So, you can have the ocean view without the sand and salt and ick.  I mean, I know I'm a total priss, but I think this is the best idea ever!
Those vendors weren't completely useless... we did get this darling hat for me! (See below)  I love it so much. I brought it home and wear it to soccer games and stuff.  I know it's not really the style but I think it's adorable!
 After a nice long day at the beach, we went back to our room and got all cleaned up for dinner.


 On our final morning there, we had a little time between check out and our flight, so we stopped at a nearby restaurant for a late breakfast.  The menu was entirely in Spanish, so we were trying to figure out what to order.  Matt ordered an omelette and then the waiter brought over a special menu and described it to us. Matt said, "Oh that sounds like something you would ike, Laura!"  So I ordered it.  We were waiting and waiting and then I said, "I'm not even sure what I ordered."  Matt said, "I know.  I wonder what it is."  Matt said, "Yeah, I'm not sure.  I know he said tortillas and guacamole, and.... Oh, no."
"What?"  I say
" I think he said something about grasshoppers.  You don't think that was part of the dish, right?"
"What?!!  Did I just order grasshoppers?!"
Just then, along comes the waiter and he serves me this:

Grasshoppers.  
For breakfast.  Not that they would have been any more appetizing at lunch or dinner. But really?  Grasshoppers!?!
It is at this point that everyone says, "Did you eat them?"
And my first response is, "Have you MET me?  Of course I didn't eat them!  That would be disgusting."
I just couldn't do it.  We sent it back and ordered an omelette for me as well.  The staff wasn't particularly thrilled, I think there were some egg shells in my omelette.  It took us a while to stop laughing, but we finally made it out of there and to the airport safely!  
We absolutely LOVED the Mayan Palace!  We had so much fun together and it was such a good experience for us to get to spend time just with each other.  Another big thank you to Marsha, Natalie and Raegan for helping us out and making our anniversary trip so wonderful! 

No comments: