We started by beating the nuts into small pieces to symbolize how Christ's body was bruised and beaten for us. (We used almonds because Daphne is allergic to pecans!)

Then I took a turn beating them and broke my very favorite Pampered Chef wooden spoon.
We added vinegar, salt and sugar. Each ingredient has a corresponding scripture and symbolic meaning. Then we popped it in the kitchen-aid and beat the mixture for 12 minutes! While that was beating, Isaac took a quick bath and we laid out the Easter Clothes for Church the next day.
Here are the girls waiting for Isaac to come down so we can finish.
Then we let everyone take turns folding in the nuts and scooping a spoonful onto the cookie sheets. Each mound represents the rocky tomb.
After that, we placed them in the oven and read about how Christ's body was placed in the tomb and the tomb was sealed with a stone and guarded with Roman soldiers.
Here are the kids taping the oven door to symbolize the sealing of the tomb!
We explained that just as Jesus's followers were sad to lose Him, we feel a little sad to have to wait for our cookies. Victoria was the most concerned about this... she does not understand the concept of delayed gratification. But she loves tape, so that helped a little. After that, we went upstairs and read of Christ's trial and Crucifixion, praying for a more genuine rememberance of His love for us.
Earlier that day, I was able to read the April issue of the Ensign and was so moved by several of the articles. I was reminded of my own sin, of my shortcomings and the failure of even my best efforts. I was humbled and ashamed to think how He atoned for My sins, My failures, My shortcomings. He suffered for Me, for you, for all of us. His perfect and precious body was bruised for My iniquities and I am so very, very grateful. For,
" But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5
Praise be to God for the gift of His precious Son!
We know the end of the story... for as painful as His suffering was, His victory is even more Triumphant!
1 comment:
Amen! And I love all of your activities! I'm totally stealing some of them next year:) And Daphne looks just like you in the wooden spoon picture. And the tape comment cracked me up. And...I don't really have anything else. I just wanted to say and one more time:)
Post a Comment