Yes, I am actually posting. No, I don't have time. I have about five milion things I ought to be doing right now, but I am just going to do this anyway. I might bawl my eyes out doing it, but I am going to do it anyway. Back in April, I applied to an awesome new Charter School near by. It runs from K-9, so all three kids could go to the same school for another 4 years. I had heard wonderful things about it and I knew a few moms who love it. They were full, so I immeresed myself in all the other Mommy tasks of the Summer and planned to head back to their neighborhood public school.
Of course, just as everything was getting really stressful with all the other craziness going on this Summer (you can read about that in another post later.) We found out that they all three were accepted to Highmark.
On the one hand, I was really excited, but on the other, school was starting in just a few weeks. That would be a big change for us and very little time to prepare. This is a really long story that I just don't have time to tell. But the biggest shock of all is that all three of my kids were really excited to change schools. (Even Daphne, Miss "Don't make me leave my friends" Hunter) She put together this "ballott" and had everyone vote: 
So, after much prayer, thought, discussions with friends who attend Highmark, and a tour of the school, we made our decision! Here we come, Highmark! 
This morning, they were all so excited! I made pancakes for the grade they are entering. So we have a "K" with one leg eaten, a backward 4 and a 6:
As many of you know, I started a tradition of making a "First Day of School Cake " for my kids. They hold it in the pictures and then we eat some cake when they get home and they tell me all about the first day. This seems like a good idea except that I am not gifted at Cake-Deocrating. Some of you may have seen my struggles with decorating the cake chronicled here: First Day of School 2011 and here Back to School 2012. Every year, I think , "I need to get my Mom's recipe for Decorator Frosting!" and I never remember in time, because I am always making the cake like at midnight the night before the first day of school. But this year, I remembered! And I am kicking myself for not getting it before! The cake looks so much better and was TONS easier to decorate. I know I'm still not going to be invited to Cupcake Wars or anything, but it's presentable. So, thanks, Mom! You rock.
Because Tori is starting Kindergarten, she will have an assessment later this week and have her real first day next Tuesday. But we decided to pretend today so she could be in all the pics!
Highmark has a dress code, so we had to do a lot of shopping and planning to make sure they had clothes that are "business casual", as they call it! I think they look pretty darling!
Honestly, I think I am mmore nervous than they... I have been praying that this will be a good school for them, that they will have excellent teachers, that they will be confident and kind and share Jesus's love iwht all they meet. I can't even begin to explain how hard this change is for me, and I am sure it is huge for them! It was a nerve-wracking first morning, new teachers, new school, new friends, new clothes, but I am so proud of them. But I am grateful for a husband who holds the Priesthood of God and who was able to give thema Father's Blessing last night. I am so grateful to my Father in Heaven for blessing them with comfort and peace. They both looked pretty nervous, but nowhere near what I thought might happen. I am proud of their courage and calm and I can't wait to see them this afternoon!! Happy First Day of School!!





No comments:
Post a Comment