Friday, July 31, 2009

Happy 5th Birthday, Daphne-Doodle!

Well, since we are miles and miles away from our family and home, we just had a little impromptu gathering for Daphne's birthday. I have no oven or mixer, so I let her choose a cake at the commissary and she decided she wanted to let the kids decorate their cake with candy. Then we had chocolate ice cream. It was a severe sugar-overload for all of us, but they loved it! Two sweet families that we have met here were kind enough to come and help us celebrate Daphne's special day. Daphne loves being around people, so the extra audience was perfect for her!



Daphne has been asking for a music box since April and I found a perfect choice in a cute little German Toy shop here. I love their toy shops- they offer very open-ended, sturdy toys that encourage imaginative play. I love just taking the kids there to check stuff out. No electronic "educational" toys.
Anyway, this music box is sturdy enough for her but not so great that I will die if she breaks it. There is a dancing fairy inside and it plays "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". She loves listening to it and loves to show it to complete stragers whenever possible.

Daphne was feeling generous and let her brother help unwrap her presents, which was cute to watch!


Here she is sporting some of her new clothes!


We plan to have a big family party when we return home, but this was a great way to spend the day with Daphne. Thanks to the Abercrombies and Overfelts for making her day so much fun!
We really appreciate yall taking time out to celebrate Daphne's life with us!
Happy Birthday, my little Daffodil! I can't believe Kindergarten is just around the corner...

No comments: